Police Officer James "Jim" Davies Lakewood Police Department, Colorado End of Watch: Friday, November 9, 2012


angelLakewood Police Department, Colorado

Police Officer James "Jim" Davies

Lakewood Police Department, Colorado
End of Watch: Friday, November 9, 2012

Biographical Info

Age: 35
Tour of Duty: 6 years, 6 months
Badge Number: Not available

Incident Details

Cause of Death: Gunfire
Date of Incident: November 9, 2012
Weapon Used: Gun; Unknown type
Suspect Info: Not available

Agency Contact Information

Chief Kevin Paletta
Lakewood Police Department
445 S Allison Parkway
Lakewood, CO 80226
Phone: (303) 987-7111

Police Officer Jim Davies was shot and killed in a friendly fire incident while securing the scene of a crime.
Lakewood officers were responding to a prowler call near West 20th Avenue and Eaton Street when they heard gunfire coming from a house on Eaton Street. The officers took three subjects into custody after one man was observed firing a handgun in front of the house. As multiple officers worked to secure the perimeter of the house Officer Davies was mistaken for an assailant and was fatally shot by another officer. He was pronounced dead on scene.
Officer Davies served with the Lakewood Police Department for six and one half years and was assigned to the Special Enforcement Team. He is survived by his wife and two young children.

LAKEWOOD — The Lakewood officer shot and killed Friday morning was shot by another officer, officials said at a 2 p.m. news conference.

"The officer did die after being shot by another officer," said Steve Davis, Lakewood police spokesman.

He named the slain officer as James Davies, a 35-year-old, 6 ½-year veteran who had a wife and two young children. Davis said Davies was assigned to a special enforcement team and was wearing a uniform and protective vest when he was killed. His parents are from England.

The name of the officer who fired the fatal shot was not released.

Davies was killed early Friday morning after three suspects were arrested at a Lakewood home a few blocks west of Sloan’s 1900 block of Eaton Street, Lakewood

Lake, authorities say.

The three suspects were in custody at the time of the fatal shooting, said Davis . They have not been formally arrested as of Friday afternoon.

"It’s just like a family. These are the worst of the worst," Davis said of the officer’s death. "You never want to lose one of your people."

Davies was the first killed in the line of duty in Lakewood’s police department history, which dates to 1969.

About 1:45 a.m. Lakewood police were answering a call of a prowler near West 20th Avenue and Fenton Street when they heard shots being fired nearby, said Ty Countryman, Lakewood police spokesman.

Several officers from Lakewood, Denver, Edgewater and the Jefferson County Sheriff’s office responded. Police were searching for the source of the gunshots.

Griffin Jory, who lives a few blocks away, said he awoke around 2 a.m. and saw police officers all over the neighborhood.

"I knew they were looking for someone," he said.

Authorities heard shots fired sporadically until they were able to locate the source — a home at 1940 Eaton St.

The officers set up a perimeter around the house, Davis said.

At one point, officers saw a man fire a round from a handgun just outside the home into the air.

Jory said he heard about six gunshots around 3:30 a.m.

Police entered the home and arrested three male suspects, Davis said. Their names were not released. Davis said the three had handguns.

Davis said it does not appear that any of the suspects fired shots at police, which conflicts with early reports.

Dogs inside the home became "problematic," and became a new focus of attention for police, he said. He was told there were two or three pitbulls in the home.

"That was happening on top of everything that was happening," Davis said.

After the suspects were secured and brought outside the home, a shot was fired, as officers were going back into the home to secure it and deal with the dogs. The officer, who was outside the home at the time, was shot and killed, he said.

The officer who was shot died at the scene, police said.

There were no injuries to other officers or the public.

Property records indicate the home is owned by Joe A. Ruiz.

Gary Ruiz, who said he is Joe’s brother, said in a telephone interview that he didn’t know exactly what happened at the house, only what he’s been following through the media.

Gary Ruiz declined to talk about his brother and his family, but he did acknowledge that Joe owns pitbulls.

"I love those dogs," Gary Ruiz said. "I’ve known those dogs since they were puppies."

A young man came to the scene of the shooting midday Friday. He said his father, Joe Ruiz, lives at the house. Officers at the scene told the young man, who declined to give his name, that officials were talking to his father at police headquarters.

Police have not identified the three people in custody.

The circumstances of the shooting are currently under investigation. Davis said Friday afternoon investigators were waiting for a warrant to enter the home. "We’re assembling detectives and investigators from many departments" to aid in the investigation, he said.

Lakewood Mayor Bob Murphy, reached by phone, said the city’s "sympathy and support" were with his family.

"It’s a tragic day for the entire city of Lakewood," Murphy said. "Our sympathy is obviously with the family" of the officer.

The shooting happened in Ward Two. Councilwoman Cindy Baroway, who oversees the ward, said she had few details about the incident or the home where it occurred, but added that she had heard no complaints of problems there in the past.

"We’re all very sad," she said. "It’s very shocking and very tragic."

Davis said there only previous call to the residence was on a tripped alarm in July of this year.

Jory said normally the neighborhood, on the border of Lakewood and Edgewater with older homes and a few apartments, is quiet.

"It’s an awesome neighborhood," he said. "Last night’s gunfire is unusual but not unheard of."

Other neighbors echoed that.

Ben Orron said he heard as many as six gunshots.

"It woke me up. It was two or three — pop, pop — real quick," he said. " Then a pause, then two or three more."

Orron said he didn’t realize what had happened until he went outside later in the morning.

Angel Marquez lives across the street.

"All I head was boom, boom, boom, boom, boom."

He said the noise woke up his four young children. They all huddled in the living room, too scared to look outside.

Marquez added: "It’s just crazy to have that kind of crime happen out here."


2 Responses to “Police Officer James "Jim" Davies Lakewood Police Department, Colorado End of Watch: Friday, November 9, 2012”

  1. 1 Joan Parker November 9, 2012 at 18:04

    Rest In Peace Officer Davies…

  2. 2 lee buzilow November 9, 2012 at 18:43

    It’s a shame that this had to happen. I was a Phila Pa police ofcr for several years then went to state enforcement. I am not blaming the police dept but they had no idea where anyone was, who may of been at the scene, or who arrived later. I work p/t as a special police ofcr now and we r in constant radio contact as to our where abouts, who is on scene and where. please accept my sympathy. R.I.P. Ofcr Davies u served your community well. Incidentally i had lived in Col Spgs, Co for several years also. Lee

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Your E-mail will never be used for any other purpose than notification of fallen officers.

Join 118 other followers


%d bloggers like this: