Sergeant Anthony Wallace Hoonah Police Department Alaska End of Watch: Saturday, August 28, 2010

Photograph: Sergeant Anthony Wallace Patch image: Hoonah Police Department, Alaska

Sergeant Anthony Wallace
Hoonah Police Department

End of Watch: Saturday, August 28, 2010

Biographical Info
Age: 32
Tour of Duty: 4 years
Badge Number: Not available

Incident Details
Cause of Death: Gunfire
Date of Incident: Saturday, August 28, 2010
Weapon Used: Gun; Unknown type
Suspect Info: Barricaded

Sergeant Anthony Wallace and Officer Matthew Tokuoka were ambushed and killed by a lone gunman.
Officer Tokuoka, who was off-duty, was in his car with his family when he stopped to talk to Sergeant Wallace who was standing outside his vehicle. Sergeant Wallace was shot first and Officer Tokuoka went to render aid and was then shot. Officer Tokuoka died early Sunday at a clinic and Sergeant Wallace died during surgery in Juneau.
The suspect fled to his house and barricaded himself inside while SWAT teams from the Alaska State Troopers and the Juneau Police Department responded to the scene.
Sergeant Anthony Wallace had served for the Hoonah Police Department for four years. He is survived by his mother.

Related Line of Duty Deaths

Patch image: Hoonah Police Department, Alaska
Officer Matthew Tokuoka
Hoonah Police Department, AK
EOW: Saturday, August 28, 2010
Cause of Death: Gunfire

Agency Contact Information
Hoonah Police Department
PO Box 450
Hoonah, AK 99829
Phone: (907) 945-3655
Please contact the Hoonah Police Department for funeral arrangements or for survivor benefit fund information.

It is always jarring to hear that a police officer has been killed, but this morning, it was even more of a shock for me.
That’s because one of the most memorable stories I remember doing was with the officer, Tony Wallace.

I met him in 2003 when he was helping lead a class for Rochester police officers. Back then he was a recent graduate of R.I.T. and was working campus safety. Tony was deaf, and with such a large local population of deaf and hard-of-hearing, police wanted to learn how to better interact with people in this population. Tony was a natural choice to teach them.

He was wonderfully charismatic, funny, and broke the ice by breaking up the class in laughter on multiple occasions. The officers were tasked with attempting to read lips; Tony asked them to mouth the words, "I love you" to their partners. It took a difficult challenge and gave it some levity.

But he was also deeply effective in helping the officers take the first steps in communicating with the deaf and hard-of-hearing. By the end of the class I attended, they could count, spell their name in sign language, and understand some of the cultural issues they might not have previously considered.

One officer told me that Tony’s lessons changed his life. I have no doubt that this will be part of Tony’s legacy.

Tony’s dad was a police officer, and he always wanted to be the same. He told reporters a few years back that no disability would stop him, and his words should be remembered long after he is gone. Tony became a cop and he made his family, his school, and his community proud.

You can watch the full story that we did that day back in 2003 in the top right part of this page. I am thankful for having the chance to have met Tony Wallace, and I am thankful for his service.

ANCHORAGE, Alaska — An official says two police officers have been fatally shot in a tiny Native village in southeast Alaska and authorities are in a standoff with the suspect.

Bob Prunella, acting city administrator for the village of Hoonah, says officers Tony Wallace and Matt Tokuoka died after the shooting late Saturday. He says he doesn’t know what led to the shooting.

Mayor Windy Skaflestad says the suspect, John Marvin Jr., has barricaded himself in his Hoonah home. He says a SWAT team has been sent from Juneau, 40 miles to the east.

Alaska State Troopers also have sent officers to the community of about 800 to assist in the standoff, but spokeswoman Megan Peters says no other information is being released at this time.

Prunella says the deaths leave the Tlingit village with just one officer. He says the town of Wrangell is sending over some officers to help out.


0 Responses to “Sergeant Anthony Wallace Hoonah Police Department Alaska End of Watch: Saturday, August 28, 2010”

  1. Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Your E-mail will never be used for any other purpose than notification of fallen officers.

Join 118 other followers


%d bloggers like this: